On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:53:07 -0500 Travis Bemann <bemann at execpc.com>
writes:

> I wonder where you get the idea that they are even "Communists" from
> -
> we're they always state capitalists (state capitalism is the
> replacement of the corporation with the state as the unit of
> competition within a capitalist system), and aren't they movhing
> towards that oh-so-great "free market" capitalism?

Well, they are partialy "Free Market" capitalist.  They are still, in
large part, a very strict communism.  They only have a very few cities
built on the "Free Market" Capitalist model and that are allowed to do
foriegn trade.  Anyone who deosn't already live in one of these cities is
restricted to the small town or area in which they are assigned to live
and work.  There are still a very large number of people in china who are
desperately impoverished and have no legal right to climb up the
social/economic ladder.  They NOT ALLOWED to move or try to make thier
lives better.

So, no, I don't think China is a "State Capitalism", I think they are a
Communist State which has found that Communism isn't working very well
and they are trying to pull themselves up out of poverty before the
people either die completely, or revolt.  But even though they are trying
to use Capitalism, the guys that are in power are desperatly trying to
hang on to that power.  They are basicaly balancing on a razor edge.
They could very easily lose their power in a very very bad and chaotic
change in the way things work there.

Anyway, I think China is still in trouble and still has a way to go
before things can be said to be OK, or even humanly tolerable.  And that
applies to the whole country, not just the few experimental cities that
are built around a "Free Market" Capitalist system of doing things.