Michal Palczewski writes:

> Is there a reason why freenet doesn't support open source
> implemantations?

Since nobody else answered so far:

Because the open-source implementations aren't up to speed
yet. Freenet is using the "NIO" API for asynchronous I/O and that API
is not or not well supported by kaffe and gcj (the two most likely
contenders for being able to run Freenet). I seem to recall that
Freenet actually compiles on one of those systems but doesn't run
because of bugs in NIO.

There is interest on getting this to work, but the #1 priority of the
(currently scarce) contributors is to get Freenet to work better on
the most correct JVM implementation. Since a substantial fraction of
Freenet nodes are running on Windows the open-source argument is a bit
moot, too. And finally, the source of Java is available, even if it is
not open source proper.

-Hein