Not sure about being a rare option but this is another GM headscratcher.
Everything I have read says that the production numbers for chevelles
started at 100001, except the Arlington plant, which started at 200001. My
cowl tag says that my Malibu 350 was assembled at the Texas plant but the
production number is 111945. FYI, it came w/ the 270hp 350, TH350 and 12
bolt 2.73 rear. Some of the "nice to haves" are front disk brakes, hidden
wipers, 4 spoke "SS" style steering wheel (which I sold for $50 about a year
ago, DOH!) and sport mirrors.

Scott