eBay frowns very heavily on people bidding on their own items or using a
shill to increase the price.  I've had it happen to me and have reported
them to eBay's Safe Harbor.  They used to have a feature that let you see
what a bidder/winner has bid on in the past.  They also used to keep bid
items on file for 30 days so you could go back at least that far.  Don't
know if they still do and I'm sure the practice continues.  I would imagine
that quite often they either bid themselves out of a sale or their wares are
worth more to them than the general public at a given time.  Unfortunately,
you run into jerks everywhere and eBay is big enough now to have more than
their share.

All-in-all, I've had good experiences both buying and selling. As others
will tell you, bid what you're willing to pay and ask lots of questions. If
you don't get what you want today, it'll probably come up again.

Dale McIntosh
ACES #1709/TC #92 Gold
67 SS/67 Elky
http://www.dalesplace.com