Funny, I checked MS Bookshelf for the definition of "billet".  Among them was the following: "A small ingot of nonferrous metal".  Hm...what's small?  Is a "billet" gear shift knob OK, but a 16/17/18/et al "billet" wheel a misnomer?  Wheels certainly don't come from a "small" ingot.  Of course, they may be small compared to a Michaelangelo statue <g>.  I see "billet" used in many company ads and names on the Internet.  But, maybe Joe's just hedging his bet and trying to stay out of trouble from the big boys.

The word itself is not trademarked or it would have the TM next to it in all print articles....it's also a fairly new term to describe a type of aluminum....I forget what they called it before the term got popular.

Kelly C. Hanna
www.hannawoodworks.com