Hi Dan.   I've not actually done this install, but you're right, the '66-'67 tunnels are a bit smaller than the '68-'72s.
I know a guy who has put a Tremec into his '64 Chevelle.  I'll ask him what his experiences were, then you'll have another point of comparison.

The Tremec will fit in the tunnel of my '69, but I did drop the back of the trans by 3/8" by lowering the trans mount tab on the crossmember.   I'd guess that on your '66, you'd have to raise the tunnel a bit, and lower the back of the trans.  I would have some suggestions if you're interested....  I can also get you a Tremec at a discounted price, save you about $100.

Let me know.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Has anyone tried putting one in a 66 chevelle yet. I've heard the tunnels on 66's are even smaller than 68-72 chevelles but not sure. Would like to hear from anyone that's put a termec into a 66.
Thanks,
Dan
--
  Check out my webpage at http://www.ProStreetCar.com