I'm going to bite my tongue here a little bit, since I gave Mark the one answer he received. Yeah, I went out in my garage and took interior and exterior measurements to emblem mounting holes and flats on the emblem letters. The accuracy of the measurements are in the order of +/- 1/32". I don't have a Fisher Body Manual, so I don't know how accurately Chevy held that emblem's position - that's if it's even shown in the manual. I assume they used a template for the original build, which I doubt anyone now has. Without that template, wouldn't any body shop need to get the emblem positions off an existing car? I don't know of any body shops around me (northern Virginia) that have expertise in restoring Chevelles.

Neither do I....your measurement is probably more scientific than GM's. Most people are baffled by 32nds, but those who have a grasp can locate almost anything with very good accuracy. I wasn't aware that anyone had given him an answer either, so if you thought I spoke of you....nope.

 Since no "body shop expert or concours expert" answered the question, I guess none belong to this list. I don't know any and I've got to guess Mark doesn't either.

Mark struck me as an intelligent guy who understood how the dimensions were obtained, and I trust he would make his own value judgement before using the info. I do that every time I read a technical answer on the list and I hope everyone else does. I don't expect to only get perfect (whole assed?) answers to every question, but I appreciate every response I receive and the effort that went into providing it. To me, it's important to try to help out the other guy because I expect the same from others on the list. I don't think that's expecting too much. I think it one of the basic purposes of a list like this.

I meant no harm, just trying to get the point across that sometimes no answer can be better than one given from hearsay....I put my emblems (not the correct ones, I hate tape stripes) where I wanted them without asking anyone where they would put them. I assumed he meant he wanted the exact place the factory put them. Not realizing there had been any answer at all, I was trying to make him feel better about the list's integrity....don't see many people spouting off the wrong answers to things very much.

Kelly C. Hanna
www.hannawoodworks.com