> The new upgraded (formerly pink) lead from the firewall to the HEI Batt has
> 12 volts while the key is in the start position (the lead is not connected
> to the HEI so the engine will not start).  When I crank the car for a few
> seconds the voltage at the HEI Batt goes to 9v.  Does that sound normal
> while the starter is cranking?

Yes.

If you check the voltage at the battery while you are cranking you will see it
drop too.  It's just a function of how the battery works, the more amps you are
drawing the fewer volts you will get.

This is why there used to be two wires for points ignitions, you'd get about 9
volts through the resistor wire while running and about 9 volts through the
non-resistor wire when cranking.  HEI is not as fussy about the voltage.

> ... We ran the motor a bunch yesterday with open headers.

Your neighbors must just love you :)  Then again, if they are like my neighbors
the husbands were all over to check it out, beers in hand.
--

Cliff
http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~csimpson/