i would want to make it a daily driver, that is very powerful, that can still make around 12 mpg.  maybe like a 454 crate?  but i would rather have a Big Block...not a built small block.  and plus, a 400 doesnt sound right in a chevelle, cause they were always built with 396's, 402's, and 454's.  also, do you know how much a BB 454 goes for (the crate motor)?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] LS - 6 or Clone?

Chad...

I think you should find a car that you like for the right price first of all. Secondly look at the posts made to the originality question in the past week. Also what are your plans for the car? Daily driver? Occasional cruiser? Drag Strip Terror? An LS-6 would suck gas like a son of a gun and depending on what has been done to the heads may need a higher octane gas then avalable and/or a lead additive. I ran a BBC car as a daily driver for a while and it got old quick, especially the gas expense.

If you want to drive it everyday w/ a 4speed... I'd go for a built sbc. 350,383, and 400/406's all can make killer street engines. It would be much cheaper then a BBC and would save you work beefing up the rear end and would allow for much better traction with street tires and near stock rear suspension. The extra cash could be used for aftermarket cylinder heads w/ a port job, beefed up bottom end or at least ARP throughout the lower end and head studs. Heck maybe even go for a sweet FI setup. If you wanted to add some extra punch for occasional trips to the track or whatever you could add a small nitrous sytem for not much money and still be just as reliable, just make sure you do your homework. I'd also step down from 4.10's unless you plan to run some pretty tall tires out back. There's my $.02 worth.

Mikey