well, im just thinking, this sounds pretty nice as a setup. but if you are saying you dont want much torque, why did the chevy people drop 454's in their cars?  ill definitly email you sooner or later, and thanks for the well done response.  i also heard that if you have higher than 9:1 compression, it isnt good for the streets...is this right?  i would not be planning to go to the strips, just a daily driver with lots of power.  gotta go to bed, im tired...lol.
                                                                        Chad

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 10:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] LS - 6 or Clone?

Chad... I dunno if you have looked at parts and prices for BBC stuff compared to SBC stuff. HUGE difference. Heck around here it is about a grand for a rebuildable BBC with all the pulleys and brackets (which can cost a fortune elsewhere). Also if you want torque.... a 400 or 406 motor easily can make 450 ft-lbs of torque. I also just made a 355 w. 11to1 compression that makes an awsome torque cure. From 1500 to about 5500 you have anywhere from 355 ft-lbs to 402 ft-lbs. This was a budget build and from 2500-5500 it is 390 to 400 ft-lbs. Now that is a fun motor for the street. Another consideration is traction. Torque is a big PIA if you can't plant it. All it will do is end up burning tires up and when you do get traction it tends to break un-beefed parts.

I would recomend a nice solid 355 or 400 motor with stock bottom end and ARP stuff. Get a set of Vortecs heads and get them worked by a good hi-perf place. If you need any other ideas either BBC or SBC give me  a e-mail.

Mikey