thanks for your information, this is greatly appreciated!  i think 400 ft - lbs is plenty, if not too much.  im looking for 330 - 400 foot of torque.  how do i learn what combos work real well?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] LS - 6 or Clone?

I'm not saying you don't want torque, but what I'm saying is that it doesn't take much torque to roach some street tires from the line or even during shifts. Torque isn't worth a darn or making you go if it is just causing wheel spin. To get rid of the wheel spin you will need to start looking into rear suspension mods. This will add even more expense to you build up. Get some traction... then guess what? Things like to go snap... especially in unmodified 10 bolts. Then you are looking at more money for rear end mods or to swap a 9", D60, or 12B in. I'd figure you can maybe fit in a 255 or a 275/60 tires in if you are lucky without wheel well mods and rear work. Well believe me that a properly built SBC (stroked) is more then capable of giving you just about the same amount of torque as a BBC 396 0r 454. I think even 400 ft-lbs. is gonna be enough to spin those babies easily.

All and all Chad... I admit a BBC is cool. But think about what you want this car to be. A daily driver needs to be reliable and efficient. Most BBC's with a carb tend to suck gas pretty good. Add more gas money, more money to build up, mods to support the power. Over all it just gets to be a bit much. A 10 or so compression motor that makes 350-400 hp and 400 or so ft-lbs of torque will be a fun driver and depending what heads, cc design, quench, and cam you use it can be very streetable and run perfectly on 90 or 92 gas.

I'd recomend buying the new Hot Rod mag Chad. They are modifying the 383 GM performance parts motor for more power. I don't necesarily say believe it to a T, but it gives you an idea of what a 383 motor can do. The vortec heads or GMPP Fast burn heads are probably the best heads made for a combo of milage, power, and still have good flow. Despite the bad rap... a quadrajet can give great performance and will nab the best milage of any carb selection out there.

I remember being your age and saying a wanted a BBC in my Trans Am so a built a 396 motor and then proceeded to find out just about everything I have explained thus far. The car was very hard to enjoy on a high school budget :( But enough with this book... I'm starting to feel like an old man at age 25 :P

Mikey