Jason
  Welcome to the list.  We look forward to seeing your 65 progress from "a little
rough" to showstopper :D   Good choice of car and a good idea to tackle safety issues
first.

>From memory, the S-10 spindles will work, but something tells me that they are not
>the best (easiest) choice for an upgrade.  I can't remember what the limiting factor
>is, maybe someone else can help.

A frequent swap that works well is the "Tall Spindle" swap.  Found on 70-81 Camaros,
73-77 chevelles and B-Bodies from 77-91.  This one gives you disks, and also improves
handling.

Check http://links.chevelles.net/links/WorkShop/Brakes_Suspension/ for a bunch of info
& BTDT links.

rick schaefer