From: Mark Weber
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 5:47 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Restoring Problem, Transmission Bad.

I need some opinion from some other people about a problem I have with the transmission in my 71 BBC SS I am restoring.

The background: Bought rebuilt TH700r4 that was built to stand high horsepower and torque during summer of 2001, installed into frame and it sat for about 1 year.  Did not get the body on the frame until spring 2002, and did not get the car on drivable (hood on, aligned, insured etc) until June 2002.  With only 150 miles on the car, the torque converter blew up during a 2 - 3 shift last Friday and pumped metal through the trans.  During the previous 150 miles, the shifts were pretty soft.  It has shift kits and many other components that were supposed to give it a good firm shift.  A trans shop I talked to this week said a weak pump would cause low pressure and mushy shifts.  I suspect that was a problem too.

The problem:  The company I bought it from says that's too bad.  The warrantee was 6 months and they have to stick to this.  They offered to rebuild it and put parts in for cost and go easy on the labor charges if I ship it to them, 2000 miles away.

I am not an unreasonable person.  I halfway understand where they are coming from with having to draw a line somewhere.  Does anybody else have a similar experience with a problem that showed up later due to a long restoration time period?  Or, is this just bad luck and that's the way it is?

I don't think I got anything in writing about starting the warrantee once the car is drivable.  I will check my email box at work tomorrow though, maybe there is something there.

I have not talked to the owner of the place yet. But the guy I did talk to supposedly got his instructions from the owner.

Guess I need to whine to somebody.  Bummed because I can see the first 150 miles I put on the car ending up costing $6.67 per mile for transmission repair alone :(

Does anybody have any advise?

Thanks for listening.

Mark
71 SS