>Kelly, it sounds like the detent switch on the carb  is bad or stuck. This switch controls the down shifts. If it's
>bad the trans  will still down shift, you just won't be able to "feel" 3 to 2. It won't hurt  the trans to drive like
>this, it just doesn't feel right. If the switch appears  to be OK check the wires from it to the trans.

I checked the carb, but no wires going or coming. The switch I was told about is on the accelerator pedal and all seems to be ok with that.

> This switch
>won't affect  your upshifts. A more likely reason would be the vacume modulator. Look for  cracks in the vacume line
>at the carb where the rubber hose slips on to the  metal tube and also at the trans where it slips on to the
>modulator. These hoses  dry out and crack and allow vacume leaks.

I replaced all the vacuum hoses the first day I had it. Figured they all could use a new one.

>The modulator may also be loose or bad.  If the mod.
>is bad go with an after market. These are adjustable.

Hmmm, I'll have to check it. Any idea what one costs and where I get it?

>Anything else  would be internal and a trans man would need to
>open it up. But I would say 95%  of the time, these are the reasons for your problem. Unless you really pound on  that
>400, it will last forever. Oh, one last thing. If I remember right, there  is a fuse for the detent switch. If all
>this checks out OK on the detent, it may  just need an adjustment. Hope this helps you out.
>If not, let me know and I will dig out my  factory manuals.

I'll check the modulator....how will I know it's bad if (it's not loose)? I like the 400's and awful lot. I will eventually get someone to rebuild this one and put a shift kit in it. I just wish I could get it to hang in 1st a little longer right now. I can live without the 3-2 downshift, I can always do it manually.

Thanks for the info....

Kelly & Jana Hanna
www.hannawoodworks.com