Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 4:49 PM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] driveline center

Wayne,

I should have noted it's a 1970 SS. The word I got was from a driveshaft manufacturer client of ours (American Axle). They build a zillion driveshafts for GM (pickups, SUVs, etc.). He told me not all vehicles require it - it might even be exclusive to some applications within a specific platform (an "A-Body" is a "platform" in the industry). I never noticed it on mine until I looked and, lo' and behold, there it was.

On the other hand, I also have it on pretty good authority that ANY lateral deviation is bad. Not only am I confused, now I'm worried about how I GOT the deviation! It must be a virus or something...

Moreover, when I look over the whole assembly, I can't see how a deviation could even be introduced. The axle is fixed in position by the controls arms, my chassis is straight and square, the engine & trans appear to be installed perfectly. I am truly mystified. I really need some eyeball input on this.