Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2002 8:09 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Stereo question.

Ok all you stereo gurus...  Hopefully somebody can help, the guys at the local stereo store are stumped.

If I have my stereo on (not loud but normal listening volume) and the electric fans kick on, I get a huge thump through the woofers.

The alternator is a CS130 putting out 105 amps.  The fans turn on/off with a thermo switch through a pair of relays.  The sub amp is running 6 gauge power wire directly off the battery and the fans' main power feed off the alternator.

It sounds to me like the fans are causing the alternator to suddenly put out some juice and the sudden power output is causing a surge through the system resulting in a huge thump through the woofers.  Am I on the right track or way off base? (no pun intended)  Will one of those big capacitors in the power line to the amp absorb the surge or do I need to try something else?

Thanks.

cYa-

Herb Lumpp
1966 El Camino