Hi Spud,

As far as the thermal shock theory, I can only tell you that I've read about
it on a number of internet sites, and that was one of the claims about how
it works.

About doing it indoors, there is no reason to do it indoors and apparently
more than one reason not to. Another concern is that it is very loud and
requires ear protection.

Unfortunately I don't have any information about it other than what you can
find by searching Google for dry ice blasting as I did. I have never tried
it myself (although I have done sand and bead blasting).

John Nasta