Ken,
    I had a similar problem with widely varying oil pressure.....didn't do anything about it for about 7 years (just figured it was what happens with a high volume oil pump and a stock pan - running dry when accelerating) The needle would shoot down to 0 and then immediately bounce back up.  Turns out that the screen fell off of the puck up tube and was just lying in the bottom of the pan.  It had a huge dent in it- probably from hitting the crank at one time.  I was damn lucky I didn't have a mess on my hands if that pick-up got wedged in the crank.....still makes my hair stand up thinking about it.  I would definitely drop the pan far enough to just check.  The guy who built my motor must have just stuck it on.
Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Ken's Email
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 3:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Chevelle-List] 383 Stroker Engine in 67 Chevelle=Oil Pressure too Low ???

I posted this on the Team Chevelle Tech List and seek additional inputs from Chevelle and other auto experts. Thanks.

<I have a 383 stroker engine in my 67 Chevelle. The engine has supposedly 2500 miles on it. I have also just put in new autoguage meters.

The issue is the oil pressure readings. When starting at cold, the pressure is up around 40 plus. At warmup if I am driving it the 40 to 60 mph  range, the oil pressure is in the 30 to 35 range, usually staying around 32.

However, at idle the oil pressure is around 10 to 12 psi. Sometimes it drops to 8 psi. If you put it in neutral at a stop light from drive (I have automatic trans), it will climb back up to 12 psi at idle. If you put it in reverse at idle it drops to 6 psi.

When accelerating again from idle the oil pressure goes up in increments, based on speed, to 30 to 32 psi--where it remains constant.

My concern is the idle pressure. Is this oil pressure at idle too low and should it be higher ? Change oil pump or pick up tube ?

I have had conflicting opinions and seek addtional advice.

There is no blue smoke or knocking that I can detect at this time. Engine runs smooth and strong and I do not appear to be using or burning oil.

Thanks,

Ken McDee>

Do you Yahoo!?