Title: Message
Gents,
           I am far from a mechanic, but I am sold on Quadrajets. The guys that say when you get a good one, it's great, are right. I must have got a good one!

 When I was a teen I had a GTO with a 389 and a 4 speed. It came with a Quadrajet. This wasn't a low performance Quadrajet mind you. It was what was known as a "spread-bore". Meaning it had tiny primaries that you used for every day street driving (around the size of a quarter), but those secondaries were about the size of a silver dollar (give or take a bit).

When I pushed that peddle to the metal, those secondaries opened and the front end jumped in the air, and the kick was such that it seemed like I had downshifted when I hadn't. The sound that engine made when it went into performance mode was like sweet music to my ears. Especially if you turned the air breather upside down to expose the air filter. Anyone do that?

I rebuilt that carb myself later, not knowing what the heck I was doing. I just bought a rebuild kit and followed the instructions in the kit. It performed just as great afterwards as it ever had. I tried putting a Holley on the car once just to see what all the hoopla was about. I put the Quadrajet back on and never thought twice about going back to the Holley.

I have two spread-bore quadrajets I will be rebuilding to put on my big block. That's what I'll be using gents. If anyone wants to throw their spread-bore Quadrajets away, I'll take them!

                                                                                   Steve