AFAIK that is exactly right. There was no exact science behind spraying the
trunks. In fact, on some of the full-size and deluxe models that got
carpeted trunks from the factory, the spatter paint was not used at all
because it was an extra step that would be covered up anyway. I have been
told that on my Olds the inside of the trunk was painted the same as the
body color because it came fully carpeted and that allowed them to pull it
off the paint line sooner.

John Nasta