Not arguing that shock mount failure could happen, and maybe have even
been the major contributing factor in your case.  I did the same thing
in 69 when returning from a stint in Korea.  Jacked up the rear of my 67
and put L60x15's Indy Profile M/T's on it.  Wheel hop like mad, scraped
the sidewalls, etc. and even used shock extensions (remember those :-)?)
but never broke a shock mount.  Anything taken to extremes and not used
for their intended purpose invites problems.  I've run the same set on
my current Chevelle for 15 years with no problems and with the wider
late rear, I ran them at 60-70lbs to clear the sidewalls under normal
conditions.  Now that I have the narrower 67 rear, I run them in the
15-20lb range for normal driving and only increase the pressure when the
trunk is full of traveling gear.

Everybody has had a bad experience with something and the natural
tendency is to write them off as evil or the worst thing ever made; be
it air shocks, Ford trucks, or Bayer aspirin.

Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS/67 Elky