Actually, the cameras all differ in response time.  Typically, the more you pay, the
faster the response time is.
Depressing the shutter release halfway is the only way to hasten the lag time.  It
works, but takes practice.  Fortunately you don't have to waste film figuring it out.

And you don't have to spend 4K. Canon just came out with a 6+ megapixel camera that is
1500 dollars.  It's the Canon 10D.

I just got mine and it's great.  Of course I can justify it since I am a photographer.

Mark
Still looking for a 71-72 SS Convertible!!!