I've got a couple of questions about the charging system in a '70 Chevelle.
I just replaced the alternator and the voltage regulator.  When idling, the
voltage typically runs around 13 volts (just after starting the car).  What
concerns me however, is that when I race the engine the voltage goes up to
15 volts.  Is this normal?  Also, when idling, sometimes the regulator will
let the charging system "drop out", meaning it will drop all the way back to
the nominal 12 volts, and then pop back up the 13v.  This seems reasonable
if the battery doesn't need a charge, but it does this in such a way that
the dome light (if it's on) has a noticeable flicker.  I have run ground
wires all over, and I'm sure the regulator and alternator are well grounded.
I just wonder if this operation is normal.  At some point I plan to put a
nice stereo in the car, and I really don't want to fry that.

Gary Treible
York, PA