Let me know how it works out for ya..

-Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Krister Meister
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 6:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] Adjusting Holley 4150 richness

Dave,

Thank you very much for the detail and step by step!  I actually have the '
#s correct List 3419 to be rebuilt as a winter project.  The 3310 is what's
making the Chevelle work for now.

Krister

                    "Dave Studly"
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         To:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Sent by:                      cc:     (bcc: Krister
Meister/PBU/Nsk-Corp)
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax to:
                    velles.net                    Subject:     RE:
[Chevelle-List] Adjusting Holley 4150 richness

                    06/10/2003 10:29 AM
                    Please respond to
                    chevelle-list

Krister,

The screws you see on the metering block are what you want to adjust.  For
best results, get a vacuum gauge and hook it up to a vacuum port that has
manifold vacuum (below the throttle blades, not above).  There should be
one
in front, angled towards the passenger side.

In park/neutral, set your idle speed.  Since you say it is running rich,
try
turning the idle mixtures screws on the metering block 1/4 or 1/2 turn
clockwise.  These screws control fuel flow.  Closing them down (clockwise)
flows less fuel and should lean out your mixture.  Remember to try to
adjust
both sides of the carb somewhat evenly, probably in 1/4 or 1/2 turn
increments.

If your mixture is off, then you should hear the engine pick up a few RPM
as
the mixture gets closer.  This is where the vacuum gauge comes in.  To
really set it right, adjust the idle mixture screws to achieve the highest
vacuum reading you can.  Now, if the engine speed has picked up, reset your
idle speed and try adjust the idle mixture again, looking for max vacuum.
It should only take a couple tries to zero-in on something that will let
your engine idle.  If you don't have a vacuum gauge, just use your ear and
listen to RPM.  Tune for highest RPM.  (if you lean it out too much, RPM
will drop again)

If you're having trouble,  "reset" the carb to a known baseline - close the
idle mixture screws all the way, then open each side 1.5 turns and start
again.  Since you state your car wont idle now, it might be good to start
here and then try tuning it.

If you're still having trouble after doing all that, you could have a
blown/leaking power valve.  That will require removing the float bowl and
metering block to verify.

Hope this helps.. if you have more questions, I'll answer them as best I
can.. I've done my share of tuning/re-building Holley carbs and am fairly
familiar with them.

-Dave