-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Colt Seavers
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 10:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] Timing tab question

>From: "Tom Tomlinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [Chevelle-List] Timing tab question
>Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 00:32:12 -0400
>
>I'm going through the timing on my '71 350 Malibu and have a question
>on the timing tab.

Is it an aftermarket bolt-on tab or is it welded to the front cover?

>First, my timing tab is located 1.25" from the balancer, which introduces
>a lot of parallax when you try to adjust the timing.

As André suggested, perhaps the tab's for an 8" damper.

>Shouldn't the degrees on the timing tab measure the degrees around the
>balancer? Is my tab off by a factor of two, or are my calculations off?

Remember that you're timing the ignition and that the distributor turns
half as fast as the crankshaft.  Could this explain the doubling/halving
you're seeing?

One of the easier but often overlooked tasks is the verification of TDC.
Either buy or make a piston stop and verify that the timing mark on the
damper is at the 0 mark on the tab when the piston's at TDC.  This is
a good idea especially when an aftermarket damper and/or timing tab
has been installed.

Brad