Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] thermostat recommendations?

Dan,  I’ve always used 180 degree thermostats in my small blocks.  Allegedly, a hotter thermostat will offer a little better milage, while colder ones offer better performance.  In my not-so-humble opinion, I think 160 stats are too cold for street use, although I know many people do run them.

My 400 always runs a little warmer than 180, unless it’s below 70 degrees out.  This morning, caught in that mess on 480 Westbound, where I idled the better part of three miles, my engine never went over 195.  I have an electric fan from a GM3.8  FWD.  My ’72 Elky (stock 350, stock fan & shroud) also runs a 180 thermostat and I’ve never had any problems with it either, although I don’t have a temp gauge.

210 is on the high end of safe.  At 220, I’d turn the heater on or let the car cool down a bit.

As for tips to lower the temp, change the thermostat and make sure the shroud is properly fitted against the radiator.  The fan blades should be partially in the shroud.  I’ve never used Redline Water Wetter before, but have heard of people having success with it on many occasions.  Also, while not easy to diagnose, the water pump could be suspect if the impeller blades are corroded away, not circulating as much water as it should.

-Dave