I've only had the occasion to put a lien on one item (a car in fact) in
my lifetime.  The client refused to pay the bill for agreed to work at
an agreed price.  After giving him sufficient time to raise the money, I
put a lien on the car.  He WAS forced to sell the car or give it up.  I
could sell the car (which I eventually did) for what was owed (the lien
amount) and if it sold for more than that amount, he would get the rest.
As it turned out, the car worth (read "sellable") about what he owed
against it.  I got my money and he lost his car.  Unfortunate but better
him than me.

I think your problem might be construed as a matter of perception.  You
say shoddy work, he says not.  Unless there's an arbitrator to decide,
since no description of the quality was given, it would be up to the
arbitrator to determine if you got what you paid for.

In my case, I had parts receipts, shop receipts and a fair labor cost
(hours and rates by the accepted rate manual at the time) so I had proof
(if you will) of what was expected and what was done.

Either way, a bummer for sure.

Dale