I have told everyone my horror story concerning restoring my 1968 Chevelle and how I was taken to the tune of $11,000.

I had checked out the guys work and stayed in touch for several years while I saved the money.  I didn't hear a bad work about him, but only because I didn't link up with the right sources.  This guy had his own "restoration" bodyshop and was from a family of good bodymen.  But after several months of work, I started to have trouble seeing him in person, or checking out the car.  And when additional repair work was found, at first I accepted it as routine, because I was able to inspect it and verify the problem areas.

But as soon I discovered he was not actually doing the work as charged (generous amounts of filler in the quarters instead of new quarters, etc), I contacted my lawyer to find out how to proceed.  I was floored to find out that my lawyer had already sued this guy 2 times for similar situations.

I was lucky to get most of my car back with all the parts, although I had to pay the bill in full to prevent him from removing trim and SS emblems like he did another person.  That girl had to get the cops to get access to her 1957 and the guy was removing trim while the towtruck operator was hooking up!  Seems that she was really getting someone else's '57 shell and her perfect shape '57 had gotten a new paint job and the guy switched the IDs and passed it off to another customer 300 miles away.  The poor gal had to get a lawyer and fight to get her car back and the other guy got his original car back in pieces!

But I had to find another bodyshop to take on my car and do the whole thing over again.   I did find a great shop (only 4 blocks from the first guy!) and they restored my 68 exactly like I wanted.  Plus they saved parts for my case against the first guy and the mechanic even testified in court.  Seems the first guy didn't even bother to show up, so my case was by default.

Problem is now collecting $15,000 (award plus 9% interest for 2 years).  The guy has a day job (at the same courthouse...ha ha), and is behind on child support.  That and the IRS comes first, but I still have the judgment, whenever his check garnishment falls below 15%.  Right now the lawyer is taking him back to court for a motion of  discovery of assets.  We want to check out his income and hope the judge will force him to pay something on the judgment.  If he ignores that, I was advised to follow him to work or the tavern  and call the cops to tell them about a possible child molester.  They will check him out and find he is in contempt of court and haul him in every time.  He will either start paying or get real p***ed at me!

Steve
1968 Chevelle SS