Diane has it right on the money.  The trick is to make it difficult to take.  Most thefts are a crime of opportunity.  Don't be a victim.  electric/ fuel pump hidden kill switches are also very good.  Lo-jack is an excellent theft protection device (as long as the law enforcement agencies in your are have equipped cars and helicopters on the road for tracking your vehicle).  We caught a Dodge Stratus within 2 hours of activation two weeks ago and also caught the female car thief who fled from it.  Can't out run the air unit ;-)

I'm going to put Lo-jack in my 70 Chevelle, 67 GTO and 55 Belair when it finally makes it out on the road.  It helps reduce insurance costs in many cases and can be located in garages and storage buildings once activated.

Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Diane Peppin
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 1:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-list] How to recover a stolen chevelle??

...Don't get it stolen....
     Lo-jack is the best theft protection out there, but deterring the thieves is best.  have the vin # etched on the glass, and engrave it behind all the panels, bottom insides of the fenders, and everywhere it won't show.Have a little sign that tells them you did this and hang it in the drivers window when you leave the car. If they can't change the vin, and all the major parts are engraved(by hand,don't pay) what can they do? If you sell the car, the new owner will appreciate it, and if you keep it, its safe. well of course, add an alarm, a club, a brake club, a flashing light and alarm sticker; most definitely make sure they can't open the hood;That's the key to stripping it. There are other rules too, don't leave it at 7-11 overnight, or on the side of the road. screw the tow charge. Even if it cost $200 to get it home->that's less than the cost of a new hood. Be determined to stop them. Be sure they will try to steal it. I have a neighbor who brags about being a criminal, he tells me what these guys look for. I think the chances of getting your ride returned are usually slim. Don't let it happen in the first place. Oh, I guess that's four cents... Enjoy your ride. :-Diane

 P.S. if the thief can reach your battery he can drill a hole in it and come back shortly when the battery & alarm is dead. Best keep a second battery in the trunk as an alarm backup. I use an old 12volt cordless drill battery on a second alarm(the one I set when I leave it in a parking lot.) Try to think like a thief... good luck out there.