----- Original Message -----
From: Herb Lumpp

Hi Dan,

When you get to the point of choosing your transmission, regardless of which one you decide to get, you really need to think hard what trans gear ratios you want in conjunction with the rear end ratio.  I have a 3.70 rear gear, which I thought would be a good choice for the .62 sixth, which it is.  The only thing that sucks is when in fifth gear (1:1), it turns out that the 3.70 is a bit low.  Hind sight is always 20/20, but after putting close to 8000 miles on my Elky, I think a 3.55 rear with a .72 sixth would have been a better combo, especially when driving in fifth.

I think the least expensive way to compensate in my case will be to get taller rear tires when the time comes.

Herb Lumpp
http://users.adelphia.net/~hlump/