In a message dated 9/3/2003 9:33:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Why are you going with a mini starter? heat soak, bad starter,

or just not enuff juice! Are you running a stock one now?

I was going to post this when I first signed up but was shy I guess........
On one of my 64 Chevelles I used to have problems with the starter not kicking in.
This was all from engine heat and 30 yr old (at the time) wiring.
It was a 6 cyl so the headers were on the other side of engine so no blaming them!
I bought a Chrysler starter relay which looks like a heavy duty version of a GM horn relay.
Sorry no part number and there were several variations, but figure mid 70's. (Find an old parts guy)
Mine has a 5/16" stud for incoming current, #10 or 12 screw for outgoing, and a blade terminal for the actuating voltage. (plus a mounting bracket built in)
Pretty simple on a six cylinder as I could mount it on starter end bolt.
I took the current from the pos. battery cable post on solenoid, ran outgoing from relay to where original wire from ign switch use to hook on to solenoid, snip terminal off original wire and replace with female blade terminal and plug onto relay.
Now all original circuit has to do is energize relay and the juice for solenoid only has to go through about 6" of wire instead of tortuous path through marginal sized original wiring.
Be sure to clean mounting surface and use a toothed lockwasher to ensure grounding of relay. (or relay won't actuate)
Hope this helps. Has worked great for me.
IMHO I think a lot of you don't need high dollar starters.
The above and decent sized starter cables (as in heavier than OEM) help a lot.
Most of my ailments when using a 64 for everyday use were electrical in nature.
Anybody else feel that way?

Pete Geurds
64 Malibu SS
64 Malibu 4 door