From: "Brian Zack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Detonation question
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:28:16 -0700

What are the things to look at to avoid detonation? I have a 350 w/ 9:1 compression and a pretty mild cam. I run the med grade fuel. If I am getting some detonation under load, Do I need to look at timing, fuel mixture, jetting? I am at around 5000 to 5500 ft in altitude. I have a hei dist. w/ the pertronix kit and am running 10 degrees initial timing the factory setting on the adjustable vac. advance (I think its 16 degrees) and the lightest springs on the weights (The weights and springs came with the kit). At the strip trying to tune it, I had to use the lighter springs otherwise, my times were around a ½ sec. slower with the heavier springs. The carb is the edlebrock 600 cfm elec. choke and I put the 1 step leaner primary rods in. No actual jet changes. As far as going to the strip, I don't think I can make it out again til next year, (I think it already closed) so tuning there won't be an option. Right now, I do only have the 2.73 gears and 28" tall tires, which is probably contributing to the extra load condition. Any opinions?

Brian Zack '70 Chevelle Malibu mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Set yourself up for fun at home! Get tips on home entertainment equipment, video game reviews, and more here. http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx