Right, you can calculate for 100% VE and you probably won't get it, but if
you calculate for 75% VE you definitely won't get it. You probably wouldn't
even get the 75% you think you are trying to get because VE is influenced by
more than just the carburetor.

Again, the key is to *be realistic* about what RPM you want to try to get
100% VE at. This is precisely why a 600 CFM is overkill on a 283 street
engine. You would have to be running at over 7000 RPM to attempt to get 100%
VE.

I still disagree with you. I think you should get the carburetor that will
give you 100% VE at a reasonable RPM according to the formula. It's true
that you might not get the whole 100%, but I think you'll get a higher
percentage than you would out of a carb that you know in advance can't give
you more than 75% even with everything else being optimal.

John Nasta