I have been advised by multiple sources that my timing
is too far advanced, b/c I am getting a slight
knocking when my car is under load-

I am trying to understand the whole concept of timing
in general, but for now I just want to resolve the
immediate problem.  I have a timing light but am not
entirely sure of where to hook it up on my Edelbrock
Performer 600 carb.  Can I just turn the distributor
counter-clockwise an 1/8" or so and see if that helps?
 Also when retarding the timing, do I just loosen the
bolt and turn the distributor slightly?  Or do I have
to lift it out of its existing position with the cam
gear and drop it back in?  I don't know why, but the
timing thing has always been a confusing topic to me.

Thanks,

Jim
'66 Malibu
'59 Corvette