Jim, along with what Bill said you might want to consider an adjustable vacuum advance
canister.  Before you start changing the timing, disconnect and plug the vacuum
advance supply hose and go for a drive.  If the pinging is still there you'll want to
adjust the mechanical advance (loosen clamp and rotate distributor) but if it's not
there a canister that gives you less advance than your current one may be the answer.

Brad O.