-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill
Lessenberry
Sent: 6. juli 2004 18:13
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Fuel / Lead additives

At 10:54 AM 7/6/2004, you wrote:

>I guy asked me what fuel I used in my '66 Chevelle (stock 396 with mild
>cam) while we were waiting for our step off time in the local July 4th
>Parade.  I told him regular 89 octane right now, but have used 91 and
93
>octane and noticed now real difference in how the car ran.  He got all
over
>me for not using a "lead additive".  I told him I am under the theory
that
>the engine has been heated up and cold down so many times over the
years
>that the valve guides are hardened by now (I do plan on rebuilding the
>engine with hardened guides in a few years when doing my restoration).
His
>point was that without having a lead additive that damage would be
caused
>to the pistons by blowing holes in them if the car back fires or pings
>especially under hard acceleration.  My hardly occasional back fire
comes
>through my carb and the car is timed that it never ping's.  I do get an
>occasional engine run on for a half a second which I could blame on the
>lower octane.  Any one using "lead additive" and any thoughts
supporting
>this guys comments?

The guides aren't the problem, it's the valve seats, esp the exhaust
seats.  You're only going to blow holes in the pistons under REALLY hard

detonation, and since the car doesn't ping, you aren't having that
problem.  I don't know what a backfire would have to do with anything
(???).  If the motor has a lot of miles on it running unleaded fuel,
you'll
probably see some sinking of the exhaust valves when you pull the heads
off.  The lead acts as a lubricant for the valve seats, and without it,
the
valve wears away the seat and starts to sink.  The hardened seats are
made
of a different (harder) material so that they don't need the lead.  Heat

cycles have nothing to do with making the seats any harder or
softer.  Adding the additive now may not help if the seats are already
worn, but it sure wouldn't hurt to use it to prevent any further wear.

BL