Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Front Wiring Harness - 69 chevelle

hi everyone  i have a problem with my horns IM at the that stage, i had to go with  an after market horn relay with the two main wires  that come from the battery junction box

 * and leaving the horn relay to the inside of the car are hook up. *

Huh?

  the rest of the ports are live except one where the horn goes, right  i cant get power there when i depress the horn button,, can someone explain this to me, how it works, and if possible, is there a way to interupt power here to act has a theft deterrent , thanks jim

I have a wiring diagram for a 67 but it should be very similar.  See http://www.chevellestuff.com/67stuff/images/engine_lighting.jpg and http://www.chevellestuff.com/67stuff/images/engine_lighting2.jpg.  The horns themselves are on different posts than the red hot lead.  The black wire is what connects to the bulkhead connector and should be hot.  The horns are activated when this wire is shorted to ground via the horn button/ring.  If the steering column isn't grounded, your horns won't work as expected.  Again, on 67s the steering column is grounded via a small strap across the rag joint on the steering shaft.  I've seen occasions where this strap was missing and the horns would never work since there was no ground.

Dale