I have 15 x 8 in the rear, and 4 1/2" backspacing, and I have A LOT of rub
on the lip after beating, and bending (going to replace the lower wheel
wells anyway).  You really need a 5" backspacing.  I am also running a
275-60r15 in the rear, it's the biggest that I could fit.

Here's what is ideal for a 65 Malibu SS

Rear rim: 7? with 4.5? backspacing
Rear rim: 8? with 5? backspacing
Front rim: 7? with 4.5? backspacing

Charles
Check out my 502 powered '65 Malibu Super Sport Project
http://www.65ss.com