Fred I had a similar problem with the button on my small block roller
cam install.   I found out that I had the wrong button.   I don't
remember the particulars but there are at least 2 buttons with
different lengths.   I found this out when I called Comp Cams Tech
line to ask what I was doing wrong.  They gave me a particular part
number to order.   Possibly the same situation exists with a big
block.   Hope this helps.

--
Rick Schaefer