The 68 has the same type of metal cover your describing, it is held down with large hex headed screws around the perimeter and it also has a center support that if I'm not mistaken has a row of screws as well. When doing the resto there was some confusion on the type of fasteners and the finish, but when I received the original 1968 El Camino brochure it clearly shows a hex head fastener painted the same color as the car.

Randy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Holleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 5:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Smugglers Box

Randy, Does the 68/70 have a bolt down cover plate in the bed? That is what
Clint was referring to as a smugglers box. I am not familiar with the later
Elky Abodies.
Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Barron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:32 PM

Excuse me, too funny. I just finished spraying PPG Sash Black on the
interior of my 1968 SS 396 4spd El Camino. Tomorrow, after unmasking it,
my
first thought was to fit the contraband compartment...RLMAO.... come to
think of it my 70 had one too. One thing el caminos have over the "others"
is a little bit of mystique. I just hope after all these years it fits
long
necks cause stubby's were it's last haul....Canada eh.