In a message dated 5/1/2005 2:06:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
1.  what years of Chevy's can I use for the rear without modification?
68-72 A bodies (Chevelle, Monte Carlo, Skylark/GS, LeMans/GTO, Cutlass/442

2.  What is the width of the rear end from backing plate to backing plate?
not 100% sure, but I can measure the spare I have in my garage tomorrow

3.  What does changing a non-posi or wronged geared posi to a right geared posi.  I.e. I find a 12 bolt with a non posi, 3.08.  I want to change it to a 3.55 posi.  What is involved?
Buying a differential, gears, and all the bearings which will cost you about $700 in parts plus you need to have the know how to do it.  If you have never done it, I recommend having someone that knows what they are doing build it.

4.  Do I need to look for a certain part # or #'s that are the strongest
rear?
Nope, all the same

5.  Any rear ends that I should avoid?
Yes, the Olds 12 bolt.  It has a 12 bolt cover and a 10 bolt differential, not a true 12 bolt

6.  How much is a reasonable price for a rear end used/new?  With
posi/without posi?
Depends on where you live, I've been seeing rears going anywhere from $500 and up, if it's a posi, double it

7.  Are there any reliable vendors in San Jose, CA that I should frequent?
ie. GM Sports?
As far as what kind of parts?  OPG is in Long Beach, True Connections is near Moreno Valley

8.  Does the driveshaft length change between a 10 bolt and a 12 bolt?
Yes, the U Joints are also different

Tom