Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Air Ride installation

Hi Fellas,
I installed air suspension on my old 64 Impala.  While it was faster acting than what you'd use for a lowrod style setup, the idea is the same.  Basically, all 4 coil springs are replaced with air bellows bags.
On my 64, the ride quality was amazing.  Even with the front shocks and sway bar removed, the handling was better than stock.
The biggest thing to worry about is keeping the tank clean of water.  Make sure to drain it every month minimum.  Otherwise, you could get rust in the tank, either causing particles to make their way into the valves, or, at worst, cause the tank to rupture.
You want to make sure that the air lines are well protected and routed well away from heat sources.
Nothing makes you need new undies quite like a corner of the car dropping whilst doing 75 on the highway.
Oh ya, it is advisable to get a system that has independent wheel control, instead of one that ties the front wheels together, and the back wheels together.  With them tied together, you will get alot of weight transfer when cornering, which is VERY undesirable, lol.
If you guys have any questions on air suspension, please feel free to ask me, I've had a ton on experience with it on the 250PSI 12 gallon 1/2" valves and lines engine driven compressor and a nitrogen tank that raises the car in a split second scale, so I've had my share of troubleshooting and re-engineering.
alrighty

Dan McIntosh
1963 Impala SS Convertible
Street Metal Fabrications