The typical pick-up truck (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton) with a 4sp behind a
typical SBC/BBC have a larger bearing retainer opening (5") compared to
the cars  (4 5/8").

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/GmTruckBellhousingInfo.pdf shows
more detail, including pics.  These bell housings can be used, but will
require a special made adapter ring to accommodate the larger opening
which in turns requires machining to your bearing retainer to "lock"
the adapter ring in place.

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure the truck bells are suitable for use in
our cars.

Hope that helps a bit.
Mike

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]: