From: Fred Dowaliby [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 8:34 AM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: [Chevelle-list] 454 carbs

Hi Folks,

I am once again in need of your expertise and advice, this time re:
carburetor selection and tuning. My car is a '68 Chevelle based 32 Ford
street rod, 454/th400 with 3:08 rear. I estimate it weighs about 2800
lbs.

Pertinent  engine vitals: flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer RPM
heads, air gap intake, Comp Cams CB 280H-10 cam. The stall converter is
2200.

I am currently using a new out of the box Holley 750 dbl pumper carb. I
have tried a Speed Demon 750 vacum secondary. Both have resulted in
lackluster performance. There is no bog, they just don't have any
punch. My comparison is the carb I was using (never should have sold
it!), an older  Holley 750 dbl pumper. That thing used to run like a
beast! I replaced it with the Demon because it just looked grungy, I
got sucked into how pretty the demons looked,  and I wanted to  "clean
up" the engine. I then replaced the Demon with  the Holley thinking I
should have stuck with mechanical secondaries like worked well before.
This resulted in the same lackluster performance. I made the mistake of
breaking the rule "If it ain't broke don't fix it!".

I am at a point where I just don't know what to do. Is a 750 big enough
for this engine? Should I start playing with the main jets? I don't
know what's in there now, but I recall the old one had #72/#70 for
primary/secondary.

I don't have any experience with carb innards. Should I look for a
trustworthy carb expert/shop?

Thanks for your help,

Fred Dowaliby