Have you ruled out the light switch? When they are dirty the dash lights would flicker on and off. I thought dash light circuit was on the instrument lamps 5 amp fuse but I may be thinking of another car year.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Nasta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:08 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] 1969 dash lights

I still haven't driven the El Camino at night but I did do a quick test of
tuning on the headlights, and the dash lights did not come on. The
courtesy/lighter circuit is now working, and I assume these bulbs are on
that circuit. I also assume that they should have come on even though the
ignition switch was in the off position. I don't have any blown fuses, so I
guess the next thing to look at is the bulbs.

I have heard in the past that it is a big pain to change these bulbs. Is it worthwhile to drop the steering column and instrument carrier and go in from
the top, or do most of you guys reach up from underneath? Any other tips?

Thanks,
John Nasta