From: "Larry Shouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> As a follow-up question, please explain to me the pros and
> cons of vacuum vs. mechanical advance.

All OEM-style distributors have mechanical advance (the weights and
springs under the rotor).  Vacuum advance provides additional
advance when the engine's under light load (high-vacuum situation)
for economy purposes.  Many race-only distributors don't have a
vacuum advance canister because it would serve no benefit.

I'll bet that at least one list member with a stock/original car
has only mechanical advance because the vacuum canister's failed
and he doesn't know it.  Changing the cap and rotor is a good
time to check it.

Brad O.