When I was in the Air Force (66-70) a friend had a red Chevelle SS with
396/350hp.  It was a beautiful car and what I always remember was he liked to
shift when the valves would float.  I was amazed that it stayed together since
a high school friend had a 63 Impalla (1963) with 409/425hp that would float
the valves when he missed a shift and it would usually end up back at the Chevy
dealer to replace bent pushrods and other assorted parts.
Bob Haggard - old fart