I don't think it cost them anything more to stamp the panels when they were made.
It was possibly an identifier stamp for Fisher body to know whether it was to go on a 2 door, 4 door, or convertible.

BillL

At 01:47 PM 10/26/2005, you wrote:
Bill,

The TC forum members may be right, but I can't imagine Chevrolet going through the time and expense to stamp these numbers into every single quarter panel made if it didn't serve a purpose. It's certainly not life or death for me if I don't get to the bottom of this, but I was just curious...

Larry
----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Lessenberry
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Numbers

It's just a number--has nothing to do with whether it's a SS or Malibu or even the part #.  There was a thread on TC about this a while back.

BIllL

At 12:24 PM 10/26/2005, you wrote:
Looking at my 66 Chevelle from the back, with the trunk lid out of the way, in the top left and top right corners of the trunk opening, there is a number stamped into the sheetmetal, right next to where the trunk seal would go...

Is this a partial VIN stamp, or is it just the fender part number? Anybody know the secret?

You can see what I'm talking about here...

http://www.fuglybrothers.com/images/numbers.gif

Thanks,
Larry