As noted, it’s been discussed on TC several times and consensus (plus looking at a lot of 66/67 Chevelles) is that this is not indicative of a SS or Malibu – regardless of the number.

Ah yes, but it may be indicative of 2dr vs. 4-door

Each number has been found numerous times on the ‘other’ model.  I don’t think anyone knows for sure but some thoughts have been it’s a die number from a particular supplier.  Could be it’s was originally intended to be different for Malibu and SS due to the different emblem mounting locations but found not necessary and the dies were just never changed.  Then again, maybe something else entirely. :*)

Do you really think they would have had a whole different die just because holes need to be in different places? I don’t know but I doubt it. The holes were probably drilled after the fact.

Unfortunately most of us, me included, get wrapped up in Malibu vs. SS and I’ve honestly never checked other models.  Maybe some 66/67 300/300 Deluxe owners could check their trunk areas and let us know if anything is stamped there…133xx, 134xx, 136xx, etc.

Can you see them w/o sanding off the paint?