I sent this to a "heavy chevy" expert of mine .... here's his reply.......

   The Heavy Chevy was a marketing ploy on Chevrolet's behalf. The Federal Government dropped the hammer on horsepower and emissions after 70. In an effort to sell cars Chevrolet came up the marketing plan to sell cars based on image and perception. The Heavy Chevy was a niche model positioned between the Malibu and the SS. In todays verbage we'd call it a hybrid or orphan. The premise was simple; Based model Chevelle series with stripes, blacked out grill treatment, hood pins and the new 14" rally wheels. The interiors were very taxi cab plain. Vinyl floor mat instead of carpet, vinyl covered bench seat only and el cheapo door panels. Base engine was a 307 with a three-on-the-tree. Two 350's and the big block 402 were available. 454 was only reserved for the SS. The car had the promise to be a no frills race car if properly ordered. Most came with only a couple of options. Power brakes and steering were optional.

    A strike in early '71 delayed the introduction of the Heavy Chevy model. They debuted in early March of 71. Total production was 6727. They continued into the end of the '72 model year with 9503 being made in '72. The Heavy model was only availble on a 2dr hardtop. No converitbles, sedans or El-camino's were given this treatment. They were availble in every color offered for the rest of the Chevelle line-up. Stripe colors were black and white and could be installed on any color. With the exception of white on white and black on black. It seems like most of the ones I see are also Orange. Coinsidently I own two Heavys and both are Orange..

Hope this helps.. If you have any more questions let me know.

Thanks, Chuck

Hope this helps!!

Donnie